Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Scout's progress





Scout is coming along nicely with her trainer.  She is learning to walk, not RUN when lunged.  That's a big step for her as she has a very high energy level!  She wants to RUN everwhere, all the time!  It's taken MONTHS to get her to walk, but she now walks!  She also waits like a little lady at the corral gate, at the arena gate, and walks nicely (without running over people!)...Here are some pics from this week's lesson.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cheryl Ann, I totally "get" what a big deal this post is. for many horses getting them to go fast is not the issue, its getting them to go at the pace you ask, when you ask, that is the real challenge. I have one horse that is the same way. For him it comes from being chased around the round pen instead of guided or driven around the pen. Interestingly enough it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I learned the difference myself. I always though round penning was to burn off energy, had no concept of using it to exercise control. Scout looks fantastic in your pictures, calm, soft eye, relaxed one ear on the trainer. I love the "I'm free" pics also! Classic!
Take care- Cindy

AmberRose- Girl With a Dream said...

well done to you and her trainer for getting her to walk slowly, it often is harder to do that then to get thee horse to go faster, and you deciding the pace not her so very well done! also i LOVE the pictures :) X