Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Farrier came today

The farrier and his nephew came today, did my 5 horses, and several of Cathy's.  ALL of mine did extremely well, even Sunni.  The farrier said, "And, how is your big black horse today?"....HA!  He remembered previous trims with Sunni, some of which were quite memorable.  One time he was only able to do the front feet.  But, my trainer has been working with Sunni...tying him at the wash rack and lifting and cleaning his feet and he didn't move a muscle for Mr. Aguilar today!  Even with flies all over him, he stood still.  Scout stood still, Cali stood still, Gigo did, and Quad did too.  YEAH!!!  They'll get their shots next month and I hope they all behave for the vet.  I took Sunni up to the wash rack when he was done, hosed off his injuries (remember, he ran through their barbed wire fence and ended up in the neighbor's lot last week...).  I washed him, soaped him, hosed him off, and applied Cut & Heel.  He flinched when I put it on, but stayed with me at the wash rack.  GOOD BOY!  I rewarded him with free time down in the arena and he promptly went down there and rolled in the dirt.  He did very well today and I'm proud of him.  They all got some apples and really seemed to enjoy them today.  I'll go back tomorrow and put more cream on his wounds.  I also emptied out the side tack room where I store their feed in aluminum trash cans, so the mice don't get into it.  I opened up my old tack box and was greeted by the cutest brown and white mouse, who promptly hopped out nearly onto my arm!  ACK~I screamed at it and it took off running!!! (...never to return...).  I washed out two of my saddle pads and took out the one I always used on Beauty.  It's time to use it on another horse...sigh...it is in good shape (not chewed by the mice) and it was an expensive pad.  I also have a nice bareback pad.  I'll add photos to this as soon as I get them uploaded.

No comments: