Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, December 13, 2010

status of the herd~121310

Apparently "The Princess", (i.e. Scout) can now ground tie without moving! WOW! That's real progress! My aunt called me and said she wanted to get out of her house for the day yesterday and she would just sit in her car while I did "horse stuff", so off we went early in the morning. We were on the road by 7:30 a.m. and up the mountain we went! I was the only car going up at that time and we only saw a couple coming down. By the time we left (about noon), the mountain road was full of cars going to San Diego. The horses were all fine, although in our heat wave, they must have been quite warm in the afternoon! It was 83 degrees in the desert and mid-sixties up in the mountains. Apparently we broke a few weather records for heat yesterday! And, today will be hot again. My sweet peas (a few of them) are growing and I'm going to replant them again this weekend, when rain is forecast, so I'll have to soak them on Friday. I love to grow sweet peas and now that we have a chain link dog fence in our back yard, I have the perfect place for them to grow!

2 comments:

Barb said...

I was down near Hemet and Temecula yesterday and it was 89 degrees at one point! I had a long sleeved sweater on and it surely needs a wash today :)

Linda said...

Growing sweet peas??? Do you know how lucky you are?!?