Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Scout's coloring and tail

Look how dark Scout is these days! And, yes, that's her tail. I forgot to include a photo of her on the tails post! (see: http://deserthorses.blogspot.com/2010/12/t-is-for-tailsabc-wednesday-120110.html She was so busy eating after I fed her that she didn't even look up! During the summer months, she is MUCH lighter, but her coat darkens during the winter months. I would think that, being from Wyoming, her coloring would be the opposite: light in winter (to hide in the snow) and darker in summer (to blend in with the shrubs)...what do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn also gets much darker in winter - she gets quite a black cast to her coat. Maisie was the same.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Nice to see Scout with a full and lovely tail.
My horses all get darker in the winter, except for Darby he looses all of his spots and is white.