Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Phew~The rain has MOVED ON!!!!


















All I can say is, "Thank goodness the storm has moved out!" Even the local newscaster agrees! The stars are out this morning and I need to drop hubby off at work as he has several newsletters to write. The RAV is in the shop,having diagonistics run on it as the mechanic can't figure out why the exhaust light won't go off. No, it isn't a loose gas cap! It's been on for over a year now...??? He probably won't be up and around until 9:30 a.m. or so, so I'm going to run out and take some photos. Many roads are still closed here in the desert, including this one that crosses the wash at Frank Sinatra Drive. See the car stuck in the middle? Aye! There are about 20 roads closed, including one down by my school. ANY road that doesn't have a bridge over it and that goes through a wash is CLOSED. PERIOD. Desert cities, over the years, have been adding bridges over the roads that go through the wash, but in this economy, none have been built the past several years. And, believe me, a LOT of them go through the wash! This wash runs from the Whitewater Channel, near Palm Springs, all the way to the Salton Sea and that's where all this water is heading. We are thankful that it will be clear today, although I just heard another storm is coming our way on Sunday. Palm Springs got a new rainfall record yesterday: 3.47 inches. Considering that the desert usually only gets 4 inches of rain A YEAR, and we already had over 5 inches this year, that's double our yearly rainfall average. Palm Desert, where I live, got 2.31 inches. Temecula, which is over the hill, got...12 inches of rain!!! Many streets and homes in Desert Hot Springs were flooded and I'll continue to watch the morning news before I head out this morning. Enjoy your day!

3 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I am glad the rains stopped. That was worrisome to watch

Linda said...

That's horrible! I hope it goes away soon and the roads are cleared up for Christmas travel.

I wonder what's wrong with the RAV, could it be the catalytic converter? That's what was wrong with our daughter's. We got it fixed, but then the check engine light came right back on.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Pretty outrageous. I wonder what all those golfers in Palm Springs feel about this.