Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Around the ranch a couple of weeks ago...











I took these photos a couple of weekends ago, before the massive storms hit Southern California. This was the weekend that my aunt wanted to go with me to see the horses and get out of her house! It was warm and sunny...ahhhh, not like this weekend! I bought two bags of feed for the horses so that on these cold days, they have an extra boost of calories. After all, they are at 4,000 feet up in the mountains! I like this feed, too, because it contains flax and probiotics. Cathy, the ranch owner, offered to put it on her feed cart (isn't she cute?) since I would have had to drag the 50 pound bags to two different locations, one down where Quad and Sunni are, along with her Pasos, and one up to the top corral, where Scout and Cali are. Gigondas is up by them. So, into her cart they went. I wandered over to take a last photo of her trees before they lost all their leaves and yup, they are now completely bare. The ferrier is coming tomorrow to put parade shoes on her horses, and, depending on the weather, he'll trim either all or mine (if it isn't raining!) or maybe just do Sunni. Sunni needs it the most, with his big, ole' draft feet (he's a PMU gelding and part draft) and his feet are HUGE! I'll probably stay home today and get my house chores done and then drive up in the morning tomorrow for the ferrier. We didn't get rain down here in the desert yesterday, but the mountains did. And, as you know, more rain is forecast for the next four days!




1 comment:

Linda said...

Nice of you to deliver them the extra calories--not that their life is too hard there in the desert! They kind of have it made as far as the weather goes! You should show us some picture so those big ol hooves!