Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, May 24, 2010

SNOW! and mountain lion~
















Yesterday set a new low record here in the desert. It was only 70 degrees. IN MAY! I remember last May (I had to turn on the air conditioner and we had triple digits in the 100's ALL MONTH). Our local mountains and the San Bernardino mountains both got 2-4 inches of SNOW! IN MAY! I only remember it snowing in May one other time, and that was 35 years ago! And this next week's forecast has no days of triple digits! YEAH! That means I won't have to turn on the air conditioner all week! And, on another local news story...a mountain lion was shot and killed near the Coachella Valley Preserve, where my cousin frequently rides. It was spotted after it killed a small dog. An officer shot it with a tranquilizer dart, but when it turned and rushed toward him, a deputy shot and killed it. And, this was across the street from a park where kids were playing soccer! ACK! That's scary. Finally, another full week of school, but next week, we only have 4 days due to the Memorial Day holiday. I didn't get up to see the horses this weekend. Saturday I took my aunt and uncle to the Living Desert Reserve and yesterday it was so cold and cloudy, I stayed home and vegged. Got all the dishes washed and did 4 loads of laundry! Here are some pics from the Living Desert from Saturday. That's one of their leopards in the top photo.

1 comment:

Linda said...

That's horrible about the Mt Lion. We had a cougar around here, but no one has seen it in a while, so hoping it moved on. Hope you're feeling better soon!