Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Around the ranch~That's My World 051810











After smooching with the mustangs, we let Gigondas and then Quad out into the arena. That's Sunni and his neighbor on the other side of him looking over the fence at Quad. Quad just walked around and ate weeds, but he suddenly took off running and slipped when he turned one corner in the arena. My heart sank when I saw him go down, but he got up and wasn't limping. Sue and I both watched him closely and he was walking normally. I drove up yesterday afternoon and he was fine. Phew! What a scare! I worked with Sunni on picking up his feet yesterday and desensitizing him. He did very well and only flinched when I accidentally hit the metal roof with my handy stick. But, he stayed right where he was! So, yesterday he got some free time in the arena. It was a beautiful, cool afternoon up at the ranch yesterday...an absolutely perfect day! There were some high clouds and some lower ones moving across the valley. I hated to leave! That's My World for May 18, 2010.

3 comments:

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Cheers for a perfect day. That must have been very scary when he went down. They're so tough and yet so fragile. Looks like the horsies need to do some 'mowing' in your arena. :)

Gwendolyn L said...

This looks like an absolutely perfect place to spend with your horse. Great scenery. I liked your story. So glad everything turned out OK. Thanks for sharing.

Dan said...

Hi Cheryl
Quad is absolutely beautiful!
For all of their long legs, they are tougher than they look. Hope he's OK, and I love that second photograph of him heading in your direction. You must be really proud of him, he really is lovely, and thanks for sharing him with us.
Best wishes
Dan
-x-