Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Farrier visit yesterday~Quad







The farrier and his assistant came yesterday and ALL the horses did very well! They did Quad first. Quad nearly fell asleep. "Ho hum"...he is such a GOOD BOY! Then, on to Sunni. I went in and worked him before the farrier came in...picked up both front feet, threw the rope around his butt and back legs...he was fine. Slapped it on the ground. He didn't move. Hmmm...that's pretty good for "spooky Sunni"! So, when the farrier came in and started toward him, I said, "Let him smell you and your tools" and he did and Sunni was ***PERFECT***!!! I told him to "stay" and he didn't move! The farrier decided to not attempt the back feet...they aren't that bad and can wait until I can safely pick them up myself EVERY TIME. That has been a problem in the past. He usually moves off when I go for the back feet. So, I watched the farrier every time he picked up back feet and I do believe I'll be able to do Sunni's now as long as he stands still. Gigondas was a real trooper. She didn't move at all. Scout? Hmmm....yes, she moved off a couple of times, but she has real nice mustang feet and didn't need much of a trim. He actually did all 4 of hers. Cali? Cali nearly fell asleep...ho-hum! I believe the guys did 13 horses yesterday! I LOVE this farrier! He is very calm with all the horses and lets them smell him before he begins work. He and his assistant talk quietly to the horses. "Still, mamacita"...he has a very soothing voice. No wonder all the horses LOVE him!!! Here are some pics of Quad from yesterday's visit. I love driving up to the horses after school! The afternoons are beautiful and cool. We are going to HAVE to turn on our air conditioner today. Yesterday was about 98 degrees here in the desert and today will be the same. The house really didn't cool off all evening...sigh...

1 comment:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Gosh Quad looks so mellow