Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year

I'm still in a fog over the passing of our German shepherd, Rommel, and really not in a mood to blog. Other bloggers have done a wonderful job highlighting their year in photos and selecting their best photo of 2011, but I'm just really not in the mood to do so.  I also didn't realize that the Rose parade isn't until MONDAY because of some rule that there's no parade on Sunday when New Year's Day lands on a Sunday!!!????
The 2012 Tournament of Roses, themed "Just Imagine ..." will also be held on Monday - the 18th time the parade won't take place on New Year's Day since it falls on a Sunday.
The "No Sunday" rule was first adopted in 1893 "to avoid frightening horses tethered outside local churches and thus interfering with worship services," according to Tournament of Roses lore.

I have a ton of cleaning to do here at home, so I guess I'll get it done today and maybe go visit the horses this afternoon when it is warmer.  Happy New Year, everybody.


4 comments:

lisa said...

I understand! I hope this year is a whole lot happier for you! It is always hard to lose your best friend.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sorry to hear about Rommel. What a beautiful boy. Things will get better.
Wishes for a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Russ Krecklow said...

Enjoy the new year, I know you will. Time helps us heal those heartbreaks of losing beloved friends, pets and humans both. God Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I'll certainly be back.
Vector Quintuple Refined Butane Gas Fuel Refill - 6 Cans