Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

horses today~Scout and Cali

It was a cold, cloudy, windy day today.  After breakfast with our daughter and son-in-law, I drove up to the ranch to work with the two mustangs, Scout and Cali, offering them my newly-acquired horsemanship skills!  :-)  Scout did really well with everything I asked of her, except walking.  She trotted.  I just couldn't get her to slow down!  She flexed, she moved her front and her hindquarters.  She is so SMART!  Cali, on the other hand, is ...well...she's a valley girl! (no offense to "valley girls")...she just wants to look pretty!  She would barely walk (she's super lazy!) ...flexing?  Huh?  What?  Like?  Moving her hindquarters?  Huh?  What?  Duh?  She'd rather sit in my lap!  They both need a LOT of work.  I'm going to have my trainer up there start working Scout every week.  She shows a lot of attitude, but once she started working this afternoon, she paid attention and focused.  Then it got so cold and windy that I quit for the day and gave all the horses an extra helping of beet pulp, oil, and pellets.  It's going to be down to 23 degrees for the next few nights and they will need the extra calories.

No comments: