Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Horses at sunset



I took these photos at the rescue where I'm taking my weekly horse "refresher" lessons...Horsemanship 101.  I've learned so much in my three lessons this week and I really enjoy the challenge.  You know, it's been over 40 years since I've had any kind of lessons (since middle school) and I've forgotten a LOT!  So far, I've learned how to properly lead a horse, how to clean its hooves, how to give it a bath, how to get it to flex, how to disengage the front end, how to disengage the rear end...Phew!  That's a lot!  I'll go up to my horses tomorrow and try all this out on Sunni, Cali, and Gigondas...maybe also Quad this weekend.  And Scout, yes, her too!  She NEEDS to learn that she isn't the boss!!!!  I have 3 days of vacation left before I go back to school on Monday and I intend to use my horse time for the last 3 days.  I stayed home today and cleaned the house...I vacuumed, mopped, washed windows, took stuff out to the garage, cleaned off the kitchen table, and cleaned the bathrooms.  Phew!  By noon, I was EXHAUSTED and my muscles just quit on me!  I had my horsemanship lesson at 3:00, so by noon, I ate lunch and rested for 30 minutes. Our son stopped by and helped my vacuum the cobwebs which always seem to appear on our floodlights in the living room (I just can't reach them!)  It was good to have help today and he's off all weekend, so I'm going to ask him to come back and help do some "chores" around the house!

2 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm glad you are benefiting from the horsemanship lessons. I had to get my son to help with chores around the house that I'm not tall enough or strong enough to do while he was here.

Margaret said...

Disengaging the hind quarters and move all body parts with minimum of effort from me... yes, I'm learning all this exciting stuff too! Keep at it, you will be so happy you did.