Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, October 29, 2010

When the hairs on my arms stood up...ghostly tales


After my first year of college (many years ago...), I came home and announced to my parents that we just HAD to visit Washington D.C. I was a government/political science major then and I had to visit our nation's capitol. My dad's niece lived in Philadelphia, so we flew there, rented a car, and then drove around Maryland and Virginia. We visited Ford's Theater and the building where President Lincoln died. Now, I was only 19 at the time and led a relatively sheltered life, but when we entered the building where Lincoln died, every hair on my arms and on the back of my neck raised up! Was it my imagination or was a presence there? I don't know, but when we visited several Civil War battlefields, the same thing happened. I don't know what it was to this day, but there have been a few other times I've had that happen. One time, my husband took our two kids our for ice cream and I was home alone. I was washing dishes at the kitchen sink when a ghostly figure appeared right behind me. It didn't make a sound and just sort of slunk up behind me. I could visualize it in my mind and it was the GRIM REAPER!~ ACK!!! Yup. Complete with hooded robe and sickle. Now, my husband and kids were gone...I didn't know exactly where they were, and I was terrified to their safety. I was too terrified to turn around, but I could sense and feel its presence. I knew what it was! It just lingered and lingered. It finally disappeared and when they entered the front door, I ran to them in tears! Turns out, my mother-in-law's neighbor died that night. Now, I have NO IDEA why this "thing" came to me or what it was trying to warn me about to this day....I mean, I had only met the man one time...TO BE CONTINUED...

Do you have any Halloween stories to share or experiences? I'll have another one to share tomorrow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've felt the feeling you described in the house where Lincoln died twice - once at Antietam - you're right about how eerie some of the Civil War battlefields are - and once in a corridor of the Hampton Court palace near London (Henry VIII's) at a spot where I later found out many people had seen a woman's ghost. The feeling at Hampton Court was sort of a still, cold feeling.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I look forward to hearing more. I'll have to recall some spooky stories too and post them.

Barb said...

Yikes, girl! That would scare the bejesus out of me.

lisa said...

Oh my, can't wait for the rest!

Gail said...

I would have to run!