Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Cali on Sunday











I didn't get to drive up to the horse ranch on Saturday, since I had an all-day class. I'm working on my credential for teaching Gifted and Talented students. I have another class the last weekend in October, but do my work online. So, Sunday morning, I was ready to see my horses! Do you ever get "horse withdrawal"? It was a cloudy day here in the desert and mountains. I awoke at 4:30 a.m. to the sound of thunder at home. I went out with my camera about 5:00 a.m., but my Nikon's battery died. So, I grabbed my old Canon, walked down the street, and basically just pushed the shutter ever 3 seconds! Out of 95 photos, I got 5 showing lightning. It was hitting down by the Salton Sea and even closer. It was quite a light show and I'm glad I got to see it. So, hubby and I went out for breakfast and after that, I headed up to the ranch. The clouds were starting to move in (thunderheads) and Cali was waiting patiently at her gate for a chance to go down to the arena. I lunged her and she did very well with her gaits. So, after a light workout, I let her loose. She now rolls all the way over and she enjoyed her dirt bath! By that time, thunderheads were above and I noticed that my way home was cloudy and dark, so I headed back down the mountain. By the time I was driving down the mountain, there were isolated downpours around the valley. We drove to our daughter's house in Indio for dinner and along the way, we got pelted with rain. When we drove home, our neighborhood was soaked! It's only supposed to be 86 degrees here in the desert today, which is a welcome relief from the 109 degrees last week!

No comments: