Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Gigondas on Saturday











You know, now that Gigondas is in the BIG corral, I haven't spent much time working with her. She has plenty of room to exercise. And, frankly, with this STUPID BRONCHITIS that I've had now for four weeks, I've been too exhausted to do much with any of my horses. It's not that I don't want to...it's just that having had pneumonia already three times, I get bronchitis very easily. I've just been EXHAUSTED and tired beyond normal! But after last week at school, I was very eager for some "horse time" and yesterday I drove up to the ranch. I was thinking about taking Cali down to the huge arena for some R&R, but Gigondas really need to get out and run, so I groomed her, talked to her, lunged her and gave her a little lesson on her gaits in the corral. She was perfect! (Remember, she like to BOLT down in the arena and run off with the lunge rope trailing behind her...) I opened up the gate and made her wait. She waited. She backed. She did "stay"! Well, okie, dokie, then! She's always been a good walker with the lead rope and once I got to the arena, I walked her around for a bit. I could see she was getting edgy, but I kept walking her around. Finally, I stopped her. She stopped and didn't BOLT! (Thank goodness!) So, I praised her and released her and off she went! She pretty much exercised herself and she worked up a sweat! I guess she really needed her "running" time! What a goodball! Sorry for the blurry photos...she was running so quickly that I basically just pointed the camera at her and shot these! I'm driving back today and will probably let Cali and then Sunni out for a turn in the arena.

1 comment:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Looks like she is having a good time