Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Quad down again Sunday morning







I got an email from Cathy that Quad was down again Sunday morning, so I dropped my chores at home and raced up the hill. Now, mind you, I have a 35-40 minute drive up the WORST mountain road in California. It is called "The Killer Highway" (Highway 74). There isn't a week that somebody isn't driving off it. But, I'm a very careful driver. I, of course, was nervous and worried, as this is the second morning that he's been down. She had already called the vet. He passed a HUGE pile of poop about midnight, full of sand, but nothing since. I walked him around for a while and then he passed another HUGE pile of poop, full of sand. Doc came, took his temp, listened to his tummy (LOTS of sounds...GOOD NEWS!) and tubed him again. I walked him around some more. He was DEMANDING food (poor thing)...he was ribby when we got him and now this....through it all, he never flinched, never kicked...he is the perfect gentleman! I finally let him out in the arena as in the heat, I was exhausted! I'm driving up again this morning, with hubby, to check him and then my cousin Valerie is going to saddle Sunni and maybe take him for a little ride! I'll be sure to take lots of pics. Here are some pics of Quad from yesterday. He's got his rubber mats now and tomorrow hubby is going to go see if he can buy some more as now the rest of the herd doesn't have any and we don't wish to go through this with any of them!!! SAND COLIC...ugh!

2 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

Poor Quad. I hope he doesn't have to go through that again.

restoration42 said...

I'm so sorry, this must be very frightening for everyone. I hope that Quad heals quickly and fully.