Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Gigondas' training and the arrival of autumn




This has been the week from @#%%. Testing, testing, testing at school and Open House. I've been exhausted every night...too exhausted to drive up the most dangerous road in California to see the horses. BUT...the weekend is coming! YEAH! I'm still working with Gigondas on her training, especially putting the lead rope over her head and ears. When we first got her, there was NO WAY I could get near her head. She either raised it up or backed away. Now, she is used to having me touch her ears, head, and throwing a rope over her all over. GOOD GIRL! Here are some recent pics of me with her in the round pen where I work with the horses. It was a beautiful day (see the clouds?). Autumn in the mountains is very different from autumn here in the desert. First of all, it gets colder up there! Now I have to keep a sweater and jacket in my car! Second, the trees are beginning to lose their leaves, where here in the desert, most do not. As the days shorten, I'll have less daylight during the week to work the horses, so they pretty much get the winter off, except for weekends.

No comments: