Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Chores and Quad


I was alone yesterday on the ranch, so I opted to NOT work with Sunni or Gigondas. I don't like to work with them when nobody is at the ranch, in case I get hurt. And, we ALL know how Sunni can spook and Gigondas can bolt! Instead, I did some chores and visited with Quad. He's such a hoot!!! He has decided that his other neighbor, the little Pony of the Americas, is after his bran mash and now he is kicking the metal corral in an effort to get her away from his bran bowl! Silly Quad! He is starting to look and feel better! His goofy personality is coming out! I did let Scout out to run around in the arena and she gave me a nice rope burn, always reminding me that SHE is a handful. I mean, for heaven's sakes! She's the closest horse to the arena...she sees it all day...it's only a few feet from her corral...why can't she walk nicely down to it? (...sigh)...I know what it was. It was my car. I walked her by my car and that was it. Instant spook. Just a reminder that I need to desensitize ALL the horses! Anyway, while she was in the arena, I cleaned out her water trough. I gave all the other horses their sweet feed and when she heard it plop in THEIR feeders, like a rocket, she was at the gate demanding that I take her out, back to her corral, for her feed! Hmmmm..... Today my friend Molly is driving up with me, so I'll have an extra set of hands. I'm hoping that it will be cooler today (yesterday I was DONE by 10:00...it was just too hot to work!) and we can brush the horses and take them for their walk! Enjoy your Sunday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all with you - safety first. I will ride Maisie by myself, in the arena or on the trail, and I always carry a cell phone. She's pretty reliable - she typically isn't very spooky and when she does spook, she does it in place. I get off and lead if she's really concerned about something.

But I don't work with Dawn by myself - in fact I don't even groom and pick her feet by myself. She can be unpredictable - she just forgets that you're there sometimes. We're working on this, and are making progress, but we've got a ways to go still.

Gail said...

Thank you! There are too few people concerned with the plight of mistreated animals. I am proud of you.

I currently have a foster dog along with all my own animals.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Have a great day with the horses. It sounds like being with you is doing Quad a world of good.

mrscravitz said...

I won't work with my horses if I am home alone too! Like you said, to much 'could' happen. I make SISSY BACK OUT of the pen when I let her out! Makes her give me more respect, and then I do not take her halter off right away either. I make her stand still for a few seconds/minutes and THEN take her halter off, and walk away from her. I do not let her turn from me. I am the one to FIRST turn my back on her. I know you don't think it does anything, but over time, I have noticed that she wants to be with me more, and has a better respect too. Just some ideas. OF course Sissy is not spooky either.....So that is a big plus for me. She is so courious that she worries me sometimes in checking things out! Always into something she is.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Bossy horses! I've got one of those, too. She's mostly patient, but she's vocal and will stamp her feet and shake her head when she wants something *right now*. lol!

Sounds like some great times spent with your horses. :)

~Lisa