Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, March 21, 2020

The new reality

So, hubby and I normally don't go out much.   I cannot even remember the last time we went to a restaurant.   We both cook, so that isn't an issue with us.   And, we don't go to bars period.  So, this new stay-at-home order frankly is fine with us.

I did order $20 worth of seeds yesterday, so if I'm still alive by July, we should have beans and squash.  I have a nice, tall area of 2 chain link fences for the beans and a nice, sunny, flat spot for the squash.   Oh, and I ordered some bee balm to attract bees and I think I'll also plant some sunflower seeds (from the bird seed) to entice more.   Speaking of bird seed, I only have 1 1/2 bags left.   I'm not sure what to do about that.   I did see that COSTCO now has "seniors only" hours every Tuesday and Thursday and our local farmers' market is coming back to town every Wednesday.   Sooner or later I'm going to have to buy dog food and bird seed...sigh...

In the meantime, I cooked up a batch of beef stew and another batch of cabbage soup.   Both were delicious and ... HOT!   It was good to have some meat, too.   I bought 2 pounds of ground beef the other day at Whole Foods and hubby packaged them into 1/4 pound bags and put them in the freezer.   I am going to pull out one today so we can have pasta and sauce for dinner tonight.   FORTUNATELY we have 4 jars of sauce and we only use 1/2 jar at a time, so we have plenty of that.

I'm ONLY going to the store if we desperately need something.   I figure that with 40 people at Whole Foods at one time, over 20 of them have the virus.   I'm not liking those odds.   Our governor estimates 58% of Californians have or will have the virus.   So, I'm ONLY going shopping if I absolutely am out of something and we have enough TP to last another 2 weeks.   I had just bought a pack at COSTCO before the panic hit, so we are fortunate about that.  I have 1/2 bag of dog food and Bodie doesn't eat much of the dry stuff anyway.   So, that SHOULD last us about another 2 weeks or longer.   He gets eggs every morning with Papa (eggs are still available here and I just bought 2 dozen), and he gets a quesadilla for lunch.   Dinner is dry food with liquid over it.   Plus whatever cat food he can vacuum up from the floor!

I'm really enjoying going outside for at least 20 minutes every day.   I pull weeds,   Yesterday I scrubbed out the fountain.   Today I want to grab the weeder and get rid of weeds in the front yard.

Hubby noticed THE FIRST BIRD in the new bird bath that he ordered and put right outside his window and he was THRILLED!   Such simple pleasures...

We are both well (so far) and symptom free.   I do, however, gargle every morning now...just in case...

STAY INSIDE and STAY WELL.
XOXOXOXO
Cheryl ~~some photos from yesterday in the back garden.   I also go out every afternoon now and take photos





No comments: