Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, January 17, 2014

I know I shouldn't complain, BUT...

It has now been over 4 weeks that we haven't had any clouds or rain.  While I know that the snowbirds enjoy this weather (it was 80 degrees here yesterday), those of us who live in the desert full time are now talking about the approaching summer.  If it is this hot now, what will our next summer be like?  We were fortunate last summer to not have many days over 120 degrees (YES...120!)  I think we had 4?  But, if it is already 80 IN JANUARY, then what will the temps be here in July?  And, our air conditioner is 13 years old and probably won't make it through a very hot summer...sigh...

Every morning I look out and see a cloudless sky.  We REALLY need rain.  We REALLY need snow up in our mountains.

Apparently the jet stream has been pushed way north and our storms are hitting Canada and Alaska.  Nobody knows how long this "bubble" will continue, but in the meantime, it should only be 79 degrees today, then down into the high 70's for the next week, with NO relief in sight...

1 comment:

lisa said...

I have been watching the news and seeing how your part of the country is in a severe drought and no end in sight. I sure feel for you, I really hate to think about the poor ranchers and farmers that have live stock and not means to feed them. Prayers are with you.