Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Temps here are dropping!!!



I'm not kidding. Temperatures are falling here in the desert this week. It will only be 102 here today, then down to 94 by Wednesday and Thursday, with overnight lows to 72 degrees! A cold spell!!!! The weatherman just announced that we may be having overnight record lows this week. I can turn off the air conditioner! Whoo, whoo!!! I went out yesterday morning and worked until 10:30 a.m. (that's UNHEARD of during July!)...I got 3 of our huge trash containers full (mostly leaves and mesquite seed pods) and I trimmed the palo verde out front which was haning out into the street. I also raked up all my wildflower remnants from last winter and pulled out the roots. Time to plant something else there...I'm thinking sunflowers? I've been making a morning smoothie the last few mornings (Jamba Juice frozen berry, apple juice, and spirulina) since I've had some kind of virus (dizziness and headache) for the last few days. I'm heading up to the ranch this morning to work with Gigondas and Sunni. The mustangs have their lesson tomorrow, so I'll work with Gigo on turning her BUTT to me! I need to get her haltered as the farrier will be up soon. I can't believe how far she has regressed since the fly spray incident. She basically now just turns her butt to any human who gets near her!...sigh...Speaking of butts, these are some of the pack horses at Twin Lakes. I drove down the road early one morning while hubby was still asleep. Their hay had been delivered the day before and the horses were all out in the morning, waiting for riders.

No comments: