Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cali's lesson yesterday




I got up to the ranch an hour early yesterday morning so that I could wipe out Cali's eyes. She has a fly infestation and Scout keeps pulling off her fly mask...sigh...so I wanted to get in and clean them as best I could. She has a sore underneath one eye (which had drained) and it is puffy, so I'm going to have to get the vet out and he will clean out her eyes again. He did this last summer. We may have to move her to a separate corral (there aren't any available right now) so that she can keep her fly mask on...I may have to move Sunni in with Scout. I tied her and when Maia came, we finished cleaning her eyes and put SWAT around them. I sprayed her with fly spray (she didn't even move...) Maia lunged her and got the "ya-yas" out, then put on the saddle pad with the cinch. This week, Cali didn't buck at all and was quite comfortable with it. I'll need to go up today and checkto see if she still has her fly mask on and clean out her eyes. Hal and baby Ben will also come up, so Ben can pet Cali. She's so calm...she'd be a good horse for the baby to get to know!

No comments: