Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Off to Phoenix and fire in San Diego county



And, this one is a big one! It's already burned over 2,500 acres. It's located near Warner Springs, off Highway 79, which is the route from Aguanga to Julian. We've traveled that road many, many times on our way to Julian, the apple pie center of Southern California. Yes, fire season is upon us...sigh...it could be a VERY LONG summer. The smoke followed us all the way over the Arizona border. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos! I got up to the ranch at 7:30 a.m. yesterday, to lunge Sunni before the farrier and vet came. I was outside ALL DAY until 1:30 p.m. Yes, I put on my sunscreen and hat, but it was HOT up there and I didn't bring enough water. By 1:30, all I wanted to do was get home and take a shower!!!!!! UPDATE ON FIRE: It is now over 4,000 acres...no containment. 072311 5:25 p.m.

2 comments:

Barb said...

So that's where all the smoke is coming from today! I was going to take a trip up to Borrego Springs this morning and decided instead to go to Yucca Valley. Hindsight is 20/20 they say, as Borrego Springs is a little too close to Warner Springs for my liking. We might get some great sunset shots tonight, though.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Scary fire! Don't get dehydrated while out in the sun. Don't they have water available for the horses from water pumps that you could refill your water bottle?

~Lisa