Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sunni and Cali today




I took one look at Cali's face today and HAD to do something about the flies. She now has open sores and they are just eating her alive! So, I haltered her, took her down to the tie rack, cleaned out her eyes (she didn't like that!), put some SWAT on her muzzle, and some antibiotic cream on her sores, and took her down to the arena. She easily went both directions and did "walk" and "trot". She is such a sweetheart! I left her in the arena for about an hour while I worked Sunni. Took him up to tie rack, brushed him, put SWAT on his face and head, picked up all 4 feet, and led him up to the arena. Lunged him both directions and he did just fine. Threw the lead rope all over him...ho, hum. He didn't flinch or move. Told him to "stay" and he did... As to Gigondas, I made her move all around her corral and was able to FINALLY touch her butt (WHAT a pleasure!)..left her alone and let her see Sunni and Quad get some sweet feed (THINK about that, you witch!) and she FINALLY let me touch her back (with her head turned away from me)...sigh...mares! Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to touch her neck...??? I want one of those bumper stickers that says, "Tell a gelding, Ask a stallion, Discuss it with a mare!" No, wait! I'm ordering this one: "HELL hath no fury like a RED thoroughbred mare!" Here's the link, if you want to check out their bumper stickers: http://www.cafepress.com/+mare+bumper-stickers. In the meantime, here are some pics of Cali. I didn't get any of Sunni because I couldn't juggle HIM and my camera at the same time! See how Cali got everybody's attention?

No comments: