Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sunni Sunday




I took Sunni out for a walk Sunday afternoon. It was warm up at the ranch, but now a storm is heading in and snow is forecast later this week for our mountains. I walked him up on the "back 40", over sticks, twigs, and through the manzanita. He didn't spook once. I led him down to the arena, worked him a bit, and he stood quietly. I let him go and he didn't take off running. Instead, he ate weeds! I waved an empty hay pellet bag at him and he sighed. Wow! That's a big difference from the spooky, frightened horse that he used to be. He even came over to investigate the pellet bag. Finally, he decided to self-exercise and he went romping around the arena! Sunni has come a LONG way and I honestly think he just needed to mature.


1 comment:

Judi said...

Maturity makes a big difference. I think they are oversized colts until they turn 6!