Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Smoke!








For two days last week, fields were ablaze near my school. I finally brought my camera with me and was early enough to go investigate one morning. I wasn't sure if the fields themselves were burning or what was going on. It turns out, growers brought in bales of hay and set them on fire, hoping to save their potato crops. It dipped down to 17 degrees in Thermal, CA, which broke all previous records here in the valley. People don't realize it, but here in the desert, we look out for clear, crisp nights. That's when our worst frosts occur. The land quickly loses heat at night and there is NOTHING to hold it in. We rarely have frosts when clouds are in the sky because they hold in the moisture and daytime heat. So, the growers, in an attempt to save their crops, brought in the bales of hay, hoping that the fires would hold off the cold temps. Nope. Didn't work. Their entire crop of peppers and potatoes is gone. Our nightly temperatures, here in the valley, have climbed back up into the 40's and 50's now, but it's too late for this crop. By about March, these same fields will be planted with warm season crops like corn, melons, and beans.


4 comments:

Judi said...

What a shame. There is nothing easy about a farmer's life. I think too many people take their food for granted.

Gail said...

So sad, their payday depends on those crops.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Interesting. I guess the potatoes were more valuable than the hay.

lisa said...

That is a shame! I did love the pictures though.