Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Backlighting cactus~Cactus Monday 012411


After Saturday's all-day photo class down in Anza-Borrego, hubby and I were anxious to try out our newly found knowledge (well, in my case, anyway), so we headed over to the Living Desert Reserve. The sunlight was hitting this cactus and hubby showed me how to take a photo using backlighting (see bottom photo). I still have a LOT to learn and I'm going to set up my tripod in our front yard this afternoon and do some experimenting. I had to delete over 20 photos from Sunday as they were just AWFUL and were overexposed...sigh...my learning curve is a HUGE one! After 3 hours at the LDR, I was too tired to drive up to see the horses, so that's another day lost. If I have enough energy this week, I'll drive up there one afternoon after school. I'm eating healthy salads for lunch and I'm getting a shot of wheatgrass as often as I can, but the little shop closes at 4:00 p.m., so I have to dash out of school to get there before they close! Cactus Monday for January 24, 2011. For other participants, please visit: http://painteddaisies.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

NotSoAngryRedHead said...

Backlighting is certainly tricky, but the second photo is very lovely!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Well, I think you did a really go job on photographing the cacti. That's the first time I've seen a photo with a cactus backlit. It makes for an interesting effect. Now can you do it with a tarantula? Just kidding.

Teri said...

Fantastic job on these photos. It looks like they are full of diamonds.

❤HCM❤

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ooh! Nice job. The second one is my fave because of the sharper contrast. But they both give the appearance that the cactus are lined in soft fuzzy fur instead of sharp thorns. Eek!

~Lisa