Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

3 years and just news from around here...


I did my first blog post on January 5, 2008 but forgot to post it that day as this week has just been CRAZY at school! It was the first week back from Christmas vacation. The kiddos were competely OUT of it Monday (teachers, too!). It's hard to come back to school and work after a two week break! I had 5 kidlets absent Monday! By Thursday, however, they were all back. One boy now has a little brother. Another girl's mother is pregnant. They have 40 horses on their ranch and now two have been killed. They now have motion detectors around the ranch. Isn't that sad...somebody killed two of their horses. She told me her dad trains them for the circus (I think she meant rodeo?)...I'm not sure and she's only 9 years old. But, her sadness is real. She loves ALL of their horses and tells me when one has a baby. One of my colleagues had a baby in November and Mery returned to work this past week. She had a little girl (her second child), so we gave her a nice baby shower on Friday. Most of the teachers I talked to couldn't WAIT for this weekend! We got used to having our own time and being able to visit family and friends! Fortunately, we have a 3 day weekend (MLK birthday) next weekend and a 4 day break in February! Oh, I took this photo on my way into school yesterday morning. The sun was hitting Mt. San Jacinto just for a couple of minutes, then it went back to being brown, but isn't the sunlight pretty?

2 comments:

Linda said...

Congratulations on 3 years!

Who would kill horses, anyway??? Sicko!

DesertHen said...

Very pretty shot! Happy blog anniversary to you!

I too struggled through this week at work...it was so hard getting back into "work" mode after having some time off!