Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Horses and old age






















A fellow blogger, Nuzzling Muzzles, posted an interesting question today on her blog (http://nuzzlingmuzzles.blogspot.com/). She asked whether horseback riding has an age limit. Hmmmm.... I don't really think so. I think if one is in good physical shape, you should be able to ride as long as you want. I remember the tribute to the lady in her 80's who was still riding. Now, my cousin Valerie rides every day. Cathy, the ranch owner, not only rides, but mucks corrals daily! I think if you are physically active, you just continue that activity. Hmmm...something for me to think about. I've been pretty INactive, due to my back injury last August. I do get out and walk. I do chase third graders around the playground! I do exercise and lunge the horses, but I haven't ridden one yet. I'm hoping to get on Quad and ride him. He is very calm and he seems to like to walk! And, he's already trained! My plan was always to keep our horses for their full lives. Our children (and my cousin) know my wishes should anything happen to me. The horses WILL be taken care of and will have homes. But, Nuzz sure gave me a lot to think about on this Saturday morning! And, speaking of working out, did you know that Santa Anita race track has a workout webcam? Here's the addy: http://www.oaktreeracing.com/content/workout-webcam I'm watching it on and off right now! It is active from 6:00 a.m. to 6:45 a.m. Pacific time. After that, the track is closed and the horses are back in their stalls.

Enjoy your Saturday. Here are just some random pics of our horses during their training! Yes, that's my Beauty on the bottom! Can you believe it? And that's Cali and Scout getting some of their early training.

6 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Nice photos. Hard to believe that is the sweet tempered Beauty bucking like a bronc

Dusty Devoe said...

Great post! Love the pictures. I will be 57 and only started riding a couple years ago. I have a lot of years left to live my passion!!! Have a great weekend.

Linda said...

That's quite a picture on the bottom! I've been wondering how long I'll be able to keep it up--mucking stalls and riding. I don't think I'll have as many horses as I get older. Right now I have to muck 7 stalls a day. It gets old. I really wish I'd gone for inline sheds like I used to have (each 12x12 and open front)--you can just run the tractor rake over it and pull everything out. That was probably a big mistake. I thought stalls would be so cozy--but they don't need a stall if they have a three sides and a roof. I knew better, too, but just had to have my barn.

Carol said...

I am 65...spent most of my life on a jog cart or race bike with Harness Horses. No longer have any horses...but do go to NY for a few weeks each year and trail ride the mountains in Brookfield. Little achy here and there but worth it. If my husband could ride...I'd trade in the boat for a couple of trail horses...unfortunatley..a chip in his neck from a wreck when drag racing (Top Fuel), makes it too risky for him to start learning now.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Carol said...

I saw in your profile that "Seabiscit" was a favorite movie. Have you seen Pharlap? If not...get it.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm glad that question gave you something to think about. Fortunately, the answer from everyone was a resounding NO. Horseback riding does not have an age limit. Almost everyone knows someone who rides later in life. I guess we do have something to look forward to in our retirement after all.