Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

My aunt is in the hospital...

 My aunt, who is 86 years "young", got heatstroke Monday afternoon and the family gathered at her house to assist her.  She REFUSED to go to the emergency room, put her foot down and said, "I'm NOT going!", so hubby ran out and bought her some gatorade, and I sat and put a wet towel on her forehead.  We also turned down her air conditioning, which was set at 86 degrees!  That's WAY TOO HOT for an older person!!!!  She does have ceiling fans, but every time I go visit her, I'm SWEATING!  Apparently she went out in the afternoon in her golf cart, and then came home and went outside to do some gardening and she didn't drink enough water.  She was confused while talking to her son-in-law, so he called my husband and the family gathered at her house.  She went to the doctor (my daughter drove her) the next day and was admitted to the hospital.  She had a fluttering heartbeat and she's now been there for two nights.  Would you please say a little prayer for her?  She IS 86 years old and has never lived in our desert before.  People who don't live here don't realize how important it is to keep drinking water.  I actually got heat stroke one time when I was moving from one classroom to another and I didn't drink enough water.  Believe me...it isn't fun.  I'm concerned because of her heart rate and her mental confusion.  Thank you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that the hospital stay helps her get better - sending best wishes and prayers.

Unknown said...

Oh Goodness that is scary. Sometimes it does take a few days to recover, but I will say many healing prayers for her today, and calming prayers for you and your family.

Barb said...

My neighbour, who is 84 and lived here half her life got heat stroke a couple of years ago. It sneaks up on you and because the air is so dry usually you don't realise just how hot it is. Your poor aunt. She sounds pretty spunky so I'm sure she'll be ok. Sending some prayers her way....