Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Guess who showed up this morning?

I heard a THUMP outside the cabin last night, but was TDT (too damn tired) to get up and see what it was. I know that racoons have been stopping by every night because the leftover birdseed is always gone in the mornings.  So, when I awoke at 5:00 a.m. this morning, I heard a "THUD" and turned on the light, looked outside, and saw two baby racoons!  Momma was there, too, so I threw them some peanuts, quickly closing the door.  They crunched them, threw the shells aside, and ate the peanuts.  Pretty soon all were munching on peanuts, sunflower seeds, birdseed with black sunflowers and raisins.  Then, while I was out watching, a dark form came around the side of the cabin...it was PAPA!  He was HUGE!  ACK!  He scared me!  I quickly threw out some more of the hulled sunflower seeds and they are happily munching them.  We had rain up here all afternoon yesterday and all 4 of them were wet and cold.  I'm sure they visit every cabin up here (there are...7 cabins), and they weren't the slightest bit afraid of us, but I was very cautious with them.  It was fun to sit and watch them and now they've had a decent meal, so they will wander off and probably take a nap!  NOT my photo...I had to grab one from google. Well, it's getting light now and the blue jays are out screaming for their breakfast!

3 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Dear Friends,
Somebody made a snarky comment about the dangers of raccoons, especially around horses. These were NOT even remotely near horses. They were in a residential area. They were on the cabin porch, wet, cold, and hungry. I'm sorry if I offended anybody by saying that I fed them some peanuts. If a living creature showed up at your door, cold, wet, and hungry, would YOU slam your door in its face? Thank you. I'm going to continue what I do, whether some of you LIKE IT or not. And, I may close comments to this blog.

Unknown said...

I'm with you, I'd feed em.

Cheryl Ann said...

Thank you, Cindy! I need to get over the thoughtless and UNCARING individual who left me a snarky comment and focus on the positive comments, both here, and on my facebook account. Many FRIENDS there agreed that they would feed them, too. I mean, REALLY, WHO would slam the door on them?