Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Another lesson






I had another lesson yesterday, but didn't ride Riley.  We had a monsoon move through the valley the last few days and we decided to do some groundwork.  I arrived early and wandered around the stables.  My lessons are at 7:00 a.m. and there was a LOT of activity before then!  You have to understand that here in the desert, in the summer, people get up and outside early, before it's too hot to even think straight!  Stalls were being cleaned, horses were being fed, a couple of horses had already been out for rides, and Ranger, the rescue dog, was out doing his rounds.  Oh, and now there's a rescue goat there, too!  I had a few minutes to wander around before my lesson.  We are concentrating on ground work and I had some homework to do with my herd.  We're using the Carolyn Resnick waterhole rituals and it's amazing what can be done with the horses!  I went up and worked all of mine except Gigondas yesterday afternoon.  Quad, Sunni, and Scout did really well, but Cali acted like a valley girl and could care less.  I need to work her away from Scout (the pest) so she can focus on ME, not Scout!  I learned that lesson yesterday!  I'll be going back up to the herd either this morning or this afternoon.  I really enjoyed the afternoon up there yesterday...the late afternoon sunlight, the cool breeze, the clouds and sunset.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos...sigh...but here are some from yesterday morning. The monsoon has moved on and it will be 110 degrees here by Sunday.  Ugh.  I don't have another lesson until Monday, so that gives me time to work with my horses and do my homework (the 7 waterhole rituals). No, that's not me in the top photo...that's a gal who has a draft horse, "Sophie".  She enjoys riding her early in the morning.  ***UPDATE*** Here's a link to Carolyn Resnick's blog where she talks about the waterhole rituals. http://www.carolynresnickblog.com/demystifying-the-waterhole-rituals/  You can look over her blog and there are also YouTube videos about the waterhole rituals.  I just googled "YouTube waterhole rituals" and came up with a whole list of them.

1 comment:

cindy said...

Hi Cheryl,
Can you please explain to me what the 7 water hole ritual is. I have never heard of it before, but it sounds interesting. I am always looking for new things to ad to my tool box.
Thanks
Cindy