Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Thunderstorms


I awoke from my afternoon nap about 2:00 p.m. today.  It's just too hot to do much in the desert from about 10:00 a.m. until about 6:00 p.m.  The humidity has been opressive.  It's our summer monsoon season.  I could hear thunder right above the house and I looked up at the mountains and saw downpours.  It was pouring on Highway 74, the road from the desert up to the horse ranch.  The rain was coming down sideways and was being blown across the road.  Water was gushing from the hillsides onto the road.  As I drove into the ranch, I could tell that they'd had a downpour earlier in the afternoon.  It wasn't raining then and clouds were still gathered all around the valley.  I gave all the horses an extra meal of feed and pellets and they were all happy!  Happy horses!

1 comment:

lisa said...

Those are some awesome clouds!