Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sunni~a horse with a mission






I worked Sunni a couple of days ago.  Hubby's been off for 3 days now and I've had to...er..."babysit" him at home.  I suddenly realized that I really only have 1 more week of vacation at home, then we go to Arizona for 9 days, then...GASP!...I have to return to school.  WHERE did the summer go?  Anyway, I worked with Sunni.  I took him down to the tie rack where he spooked because the trees were blowing behind him.  Fortunately, he settled right back down and I continued grooming him.  Then, while leading him up to the round pen, he spooked again.  BUT, instead of yanking the lead rope out of my hands and running off, he settled down.  I do believe that his sessions with my trainer have really helped and he is now THINKING instead of just REACTING.  Yes, he spooked, but he didn't spin and run off, like he has done in the past.  He did very well in the round pen, so I rewarded him and took him down to the arena, so he could run and roll.  And, roll he did!  Again and again and again!  Ahhhh.....those itchy spots!  Gotta get those itchy spots and get nice, MANURE all over!  So, all the horses were worked this week...yeah!  My car is in the shop as I need new brakes on the front and since I had to buy a new battery for it, they are recoding the radio and clock and doing an oil change.  It's my last chance to get this done before school starts...sigh...

2 comments:

RoeH said...

I love that. A darn good roll in the dirt. What feels better than that except water with it maybe.

DesertHen said...

I agree...where has the summer gone! The schools here start in two weeks!

So funny to see them roll and really get into the back scratch thing..lol.