Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bristlecone forest







On Sunday morning hubby and I decided to drive up to the Bristlecone forest. The main grove is at 10,500 feet...no big deal, we thought. But, remember, we LIVE at 220 feet above sea level. Now, my horses reside at 4,000 feet...so what's a different of another mile? A LOT!!! As I was driving up to the grove, I got a headache. Then my heart started fluttering and I felt funny. Then nausea. I told Art, "YOU go take photos, I'm going to SIT in the car!" And, I did. Soon, he joined me. Heading back down the narrow, winding road, I nearly drove off it at one point! Part of my problem was that I only had a cup of coffee and a cheese danish (i.e. SUGAR) for breakfast. Neither one of us ate much before we went up to the grove. Once there, the top grove remained closed due to the snowpack. Once we got back to Big Pine, I started to feel better and after breakfast, I was fine. But, I'll let others take photos of the bristlecone pines from now on and enjoy staying at 5,000 feet!

No comments: