Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Yesterday morning's sky

It was cloudy here in the desert yesterday as a storm front began moving into our state. As I was walking back to my car after my morning walk, I looked up at the sky. There were many jet trails and the sun was peeking through the clouds in an opening. It was eerie, like "God's eye". I thought of my uncle and realized he would appreciate this. He was a pilot during WWII and eventually was stationed at March Air Field in Riverside, to train other pilots. During the last year, he sat down with me and told me about his flights over the Inland Empire and desert. One time, he went through one of his photo albums from that era and he told me stories of all the men he served with. I wish now that I had recorded or documented these stories. He had excellent eyesight, a quick mind, and let me tell you...ya NEVER wanted to play cards with this guy! I used to and I finally just gave up! He remembered where every card in the deck was and who had it! He was a corporate accountant and believe me, you didn't want to mess with him! But, he was also a gentle man who raised my two cousins and their children and taught them how to sail, play cards, and take photos. Indeed, we are quite a family of photographers! His genes live through his children and grandchildren. He is sorely missed, but I did find some comfort on this morning during my walk when I looked up at this sky.

No comments: