Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Short weekend!

This weekend was just too short. Period. I got absolutely NOTHING done on Saturday. I had to wait until 10:00 because we gave away the spare bed, 3 bookshelves, and our daughter's old computer desk to a friend who is renting a house and had nothing. I didn't mind waiting for the U-Haul truck to arrive, but that set me back the entire day. Then, our son announced that he was driving up to Big Bear and could we please "dogsit" Atticus, his Weimeraner. Now, we don't mind doggy sitting Atticus, but he's so BIG, and he chases our cats all over the house, so we had to barricade off certain rooms for the cats. He also eats a TON of food! So, I headed up the hill about 10:30, after buying gasoline. Now, every time I go up to see our horses, it is a MINIMUM of 2 1/2 hours. Why? It takes 40 minutes to drive up and 40 minutes home. Then, I had errands to psyllium at one place and dog food at the feed store. Feeding the horses takes a minimum of an hour. After brief hellos and pats, I raced back down the hill because our daughter's housewarming was at 4:00, after hubby got off work. I KNEW he would walk into the house and want to go. Unfortunately, after waking up at 3:30 that morning, by 3:30 that afternoon, I was TOAST. My energy just disappeared and there was no way I could last until 9:00 p.m. or so. So, I opted to stay home with the dogs. Hubby ran around and bought chicken and steaks at COSTCO and apparently they had 13 people decide to stay for dinner! Now, mind you, I usually only do my errands on the weekends, so I awoke Sunday morning at 5:30 a.m., fixed my breakfast, fixed breakfast for the dogs, ran errands (Target, Vons & my local health food store) and came home. There were weeds in the front along the street and if I don't keep them pulled, the city comes along and gives me a warning, so, since it was an absolutely gorgeous day here in the desert, I decided to forego going up to the ranch to see the horses and feed them an extra meal. Instead, I dug out the weedwacker and wacked weeds. And, the dogs were such good helpers (NOT!) I have sunflowers and sweet peas growing along the chain link fence in our back yard and sunflowers and African daisies out front. I paced myself a little better yesterday and fixed a healthy lunch of baked red potatoes, zucchini, and fried tempeh. I fell asleep in front of the TV during some kind of cooking show and by 4:00, I was ready to go to our daughter's house for leftovers! While talking to our daughter and her fiance, we all agreed that this weekend just went TOO FAST! I didn't get any quality "horse time" and her fiance didn't preview the algebra which he is scheduled to teach this morning, and Jennifer taught flute lessons Saturday morning and then prepped appetizers all afternoon and then taught 2 more flute lessons Sunday morning and did laundry all day. Phew! Why can't the work week go as fast as the weekends? Fortunately, we all have a 3 day weekend next weekend, so maybe we'll all have some "quality time" to do what WE want to do! Here's a photo of my 2010 crop of sunflowers. One bud is already opening! Enjoy your day.


lisa said...

I hate those kinds of days. I feel sooo bad, that my horses are in my back yard and I don't take time.

photogchic said...

Sounds like you got a lot done on Saturday...just not what you wanted to do:-). Hope next weekend is a little more "you" focused.