Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mountain Valley


People often ask me, "When you ride your horses again, where will you ride?" So, I took this photo last weekend to show you the countryside near where I board "the herd". As you can see, the terrain is great for riding. I watch the ranch owner and her husband go out past the high school and climb a trail which leads to the top of a local mountain. I hope to be able to ride Quad with them after the new year. They are going to be in the Rose Parade, so they are conditioning their horses to that 5-mile ride. This is "horse country". A lot of their neighbors have horses and I frequently see riders out on the roads and dirt roads. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled and try to photograph some of them. My cousin's ranch is on the other side of the mountains, almost directly behind this ranch! You just go up over the snow and the mountain and there you are! Her area has LOTS and LOTS of horse ranches.

3 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

What a beautiful place to ride.

Gail said...

A beautiful place. I imagine, packing a little gear and climbing the mountain to visit your cousin.

Anonymous said...

I've never ridden a horse, but it looks like a wonderful place to ride.