Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thursday Challenge: Clothes February 11, 2009




I always check the weekly meme to see what the challenge is and this week's Thursday challenge was clothes. Clothes? Huh? I don't wear anything special. I wear my jeans on weekends and sometimes even to school! (sorry!)... We all dress casually and seasonally here in the desert. Spring (gasp!) even brings out...SHORTS! Hey, when it gets to be over 100 degrees, believe me, you DON'T want to be wearing long pants! Anyway, I uploaded nearly 3 months of photos from hubby's pocket Kodak camera this evening and he actually had a couple of pics of me wearing my "horse garb"!!! Now, it is always at LEAST 20 degrees cooler up in the mountains where the horses are, and I always carry at least an extra sweater/jacket or jacket in the car when I drive up there! This is my typical "horse garb". Jeans, hat, and a long-sleeved denim shirt to protect my arms. Remember, I'm a MELANOMA SURVIVOR! Yes. I had melanoma. I had the "deep cut" on my left arm to remove whatever was left after my own doctor cut out three black bumps which bubbled up on my arm virtually overnight. Thank goodness, in my gut, I KNEW what they were and I got in to her within a week and she cut them out. Yup. Melanoma. I was sent to a dermatologist to go in for the "deep cut" since melanoma has a nasty habit of spreading under your skin and getting "roots". Fortunately, when they biopsied what he had cut out, there was no melanoma, so my own doctor got it all! Phew! So, ever since then, I wear my hat and denim shirt OR a SPF-30 lightweight Columbia or Colibar one. I do slather on sunscreen on my face, but the dirt sticks to it and I look like a glue trap for mice! All kinds of stuff like alfalfa, dirt, weeds stick to my face! YUCK! Anyway, that's my Thursday challenge post and pics! That's me, on a windy day (see the shirt billowing?) working with my gelding, Sunni. For other Thursday pics, please visit Thursday Challenge. http://www.spunwithtears.com/thursday.html

3 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

You have been shedding something there, and it's not your skin. Is that a recent photo? It's funny, but I've never liked wearing jeans until I lost some weight. Now that they don't pinch and bind, I actually enjoy wearing them. I won't wear shorts or dresses, though. I never have a spare half hour to shave my legs.

Nuvofelt said...

Thanks for sharing about yourself too. What a great life, working with horses.

Tammie Lee said...

Hello Cheryl Ann,

Good thing you keep covered up. Congrats of having that taken care of in a timely way! I have been going through a skin cancer treatment for weeks now and have weeks to go. I look like a burn victim and in general feel good and miserable with the bee sting feelings and itching. The good part is I am taking care of what needs attention. Ugh.
I want to let you know that I have finally posted the award you so graciously gave me. Thank you again.
Tammie