Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, January 18, 2016

Aguanga metal sculpture garden

I spent Saturday afternoon, night, and Sunday morning in Temecula with our son and his family.  He enjoys having Mom & Dad come down, buy groceries for Saturday night dinner, and feed them!  Unfortunately, hubby couldn't come as he had to work, so off I went.

Or, so I thought.  I only got a couple of miles up Highway 74 when I noticed cars driving slowly down the hill flashing their lights.  Yup.  A wreck.  A bad one.  Cars were completely stopped and were turning around.  I was able to shout at a couple of drivers and found out that the road was completely closed ahead.  So, I too turned around and went home for an hour.  I passed 2 fire trucks, 3 CHP cars, and an ambulance on my way back down the hill.  An hour later, the road was opened and I was back heading to Temecula.

I have always wanted to stop at the metal sculpture garden in Aguanga, but, with hubby in the car, we never have.  Isn't FREEDOM wonderful?  (hee, hee!)  So, I pulled in and was amazed by the amount of sculptures there.  There were dinosaurs, horses, giraffes, elephants, deer, elk, and a lot of other creatures.  They sell from $800 to $3,000 and upwards.  The artist was there and I talked with him for a few minutes, as the dirt parking lot was filling up with people and cars!  There is even a stagecoach, 4 horses, and 2 drivers!  Further down the road (Highway 79) is an Indian sitting on a horse, but it is up on a hill and I can't located a turnout to stop and take a photo of it...sigh...and cars behind me were too close for me to stop and pull over...maybe next time I'll be able to plan ahead and find a turnout.

Anyway, I wandered around for about 30 minutes.  The grandson would LOVE this place!  There are a lot of dinosaurs to see!

If you want to visit it, it is just about 1/4 mile west of the Highway 74 and 79 junction, on Highway 79, heading toward Temecula.












2 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Those are great. We have a metal sculpture of a stagecoach being pulled by two horses in town. It's been up for sale a while. I'm not sure if it is there anymore. Someone might have bought it. My next door neighbors bought a ton of metal sculptures for their five acres, and I've spent the past six months going over there after every storm to pick them up and put them back together since they don't live there anymore and depend on me to keep the place presentable. As a photographer, I get frustrated when drivers behind me tailgate and make it dangerous for me to make sudden stops. I think our country is too overpopulated now for people to truly get to go site-seeing.

sandy said...

wow, nice sculptures.