Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Saw a herd of bighorn sheep Saturday!

As I was driving up the mountain road to get to the horse ranch, I noticed some white butts against the darker rocks.  I was able to see a turnout nearby, so I parked and sprinted across the road to see a herd of 8 bighorn sheep.  A large ram was guarding them and he kept a wary eye on me.  I was able to hike down a little further and get a spot to observe them.  Unfortunately, I was also facing into the sun and there was no way I could get around them to the other side as they were up against the Bighorn Institute fence.  So, these are the best photos I could get.  I'm always so excited to see a herd of bighorns.  Saturday I just stood, watched them, and I could actually hear them yanking off vegetation to eat.  The hillsides are just covered with vegetation now, so it is a good time for the young ones.  After a while, however, the ram decided he'd had enough of me (I wasn't THAT close to them and I used my telephoto lens...) and he gave the signal to "MOVE ON"!  And, away they went!
 Some of the herd...I know...bad lighting!





Time to MOVE!

2 comments:

Mrs Shoes said...

When we lived in AB, we regularly made the Banff up through Jasper loop as one of the most scenic & lovely drives. Quite often there would be herds of mountain sheep or mountain goats or elk right on the side of the roads (it was wise to make that drive slowly & cautiously). They would often come right down onto the road and lick the pavement for the salt.
I can remember my uncle once crushing and rubbing a fresh cigarette between his hands and holding them out, the goats would lick his hands. Foolish I suppose, but as a child I thought my uncle was simply magic.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I've never seen bighorn sheep in person.