Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Had some good, but chilly horse time today!

I left the house right about 8:00 a.m. today and drove up to the mountains.  Clouds were all over the valley and I could see (and smell) their moisture as they came down the mountain slopes.  So, off I went!

I bought 4 bags of pellets and unloaded 3 of them.  I still have 1 bag in my car because I just didn't have room for it in my cans.  We have to keep EVERYTHING in cans up at the ranch because "critters" like to eat their way into bags and destroy everything!  Maybe next weekend I can figure out where to put the extra bag of pellets...

It was COLD and WINDY up in the mountains today.  We have a storm front moving in and I could feel the temperature dropping.  Snow is forecast down to 6,000 feet Tuesday through Friday...  :-)

Here are a couple of photos from today below.  The owners weren't home and it was too windy to take any of the horses out.  Besides, they were all screaming for their snack!

 Storm clouds coming.
 Storm clouds and pretty tree.
 The trees at the ranch...in another week, their leaves will be GONE!
Pretty maple up at the ranch.

3 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

What kinds of critters get into your grain? I like to order an entire shrink-wrapped pallet of hay pellets at a time. I put them in my garage to avoid having animals chew into the bags, but it has been difficult transporting each 80 pound bag from the garage to the barn. So, I bought just 6 bags and laid them on a pallet behind the barn. So far nothing has eaten through the bags, but I suspect once the seasons change, that will change. I couldn't buy enough plastic bins and trash cans to hold all the bags, so we've been entertaining the idea of buying one of those huge plastic sheds with walk-through doors. That would keep the rain off the grain and hay pellet bags, but I doubt it would keep the mice out. Plus my little plastic storage box gets blown apart by the wind all the time.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures

Cheryl Ann said...

MICE!!!!!
They chew through EVERYTHING!

Also, one time crows got into a bag of psyllium which I had accidentally left out! I hope they enjoyed it!

Cheryl Ann