Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

E book question

I need help.  Both my friend Barb and I want to start publishing some books for Ebooks OR some kind of Internet book thing where people can download them.  I have one book completed, but I did it in an app for my iPad.  It's called "Cali's Journey" and it is the story of how Cali came to us from Wyoming.  I especially wanted to write this after I lost her to damn colic.  I'd also like to put some kind of hyperlink in it so that it would take the reader to one of my YouTube videos about her...does anybody know how to do that?

Anyway, I know Nuzzling Muzzles writes ebooks, or Internet books...so maybe she has some ideas?

I suppose I could just google it, but I'm interested in the pros and cons of this.

Both Barb and I have a lot of horse stories, so we could get some cranked out in the next year or so....she's off work for the REST of the school year because of her golf cart accident (AT SCHOOL) the two days prior to the beginning of the school year.  She has some REAL back problems right now and has been ordered to stay home through the summer...SOooooooooooooooooooooooo, she has some time to get her books started.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I did find SMASHWORDS...here's a link to their website:
https://www.smashwords.com/

2 comments:

Ranch Girl Diaries said...

I would love to do this to someday so let me know what you find out!! Good luck!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

In my case, I followed Amazon's guidelines for the Kindle, and then let Smashwords convert everything and distribute to the other e-readers. But that was several years ago and the e-book industry is constantly evolving, so until I get more recent experience, I don't think I can help.

There are people in business who help authors stylize, convert and upload their books to the various formats for a fee, but you can probably learn it by reading the guidelines yourself. I recently had an author ask me to create her book cover and publish it electronically as a paid service. I completed the cover, but was relieved when she used a publishing outfit to do the rest, because it can get really tedious.