Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Vet visit today

I got an early start today.  Hubby had to be at work by 7 a.m. and I was out the door by 7:30...headed up the mountain.  I drove through Garner Valley, which is near where I board my horses.  Several houses there had frost on their roofs and it was chilly.  I drove over to the ranch where I board my horses and they were all peacefully eating breakfast.  I dumped and scrubbed the mustangs' water trough.  Today was actually the first day in a couple of months that I've had enough energy to do that!  Must be my new medication and inhaler!  I'm also taking multi-vitamins every day now and eating healthier food.  Anyway, the vet came about noon.  I had all the horses haltered, ready to go.  He did Quad first...Quad didn't flinch or move.  Then, on to Sunni, who was a bit dramatic, but not as bad as he has been.  It was over in a blink.  Gigondas didn't move.  She is a GOOD GIRL!  Then, the two mustangs.  Er...uh...Scout was "uncooperative"...not wishing to get poked by the needle.  Around and around she went, but she eventually got her shot.  Of course, then Cali, who watched Scout, decided to throw in a little drama, but it, too, was over in the blink of an eye.  I am glad all went well.  I always kind of hold my breath and really don't exhale until all 5 are done!  It was a beautiful, crisp, clear day today and I'm glad I was able to get out and enjoy it.  I'll return tomorrow to buy more pellets and some salt licks for the herd. Apparently there's some kind of horse cold going around...Quad had it a few days ago and Sunni has it.  The mustangs and Gigondas haven't had it yet because they are in a separate area.  It's gone from horse to horse down below in the separate pens, so it must be airborne or carried by flies.  He was off his food for a day or so, but the vet checked him out and said he was okay.

1 comment:

Cheyenne said...

Glad to hear Your feeling better!