Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

new camera!


I have a new camera, a CANON EOS 7D.  Hubby bought it when we were in Tempe, AZ.  He'd had his eye on one of these for months, but due to the earthquake in Japan, many camera stores were out of stock.  He found three in the Tempe store, so he bought one and used it during our trip to the Mogollon Rim.  When we returned, (to my shock...) he bought another CANON (I don't even know what it is...), something another step up from the 7D,so I got it (even he can't use two cameras at the same time!)We are driving to Los Angeles for a camera class in a couple of weeks, so that we both can learn how to use them.  Anyway, for me, using a Canon again is a real learning curve.  I've used my Nikon for over two years now and I'll keep it as my backup camera.  I know how to use most of the settings on it, but am confused by many of the ones on the Canon!!  And, it has a 300 mm (macro) lens!  Whoo, whoo!  I got to try it out when we went to Joshua Tree and used some of the manual settings.  Out at Intersection Rock, I discovered this little guy on one of the rocks.  This was after the area received 1/2 inch of rain in 15 minutes.  He was out checking for bugs and was balanced on the side of a rock.  If you click on the top one, you can see his little feet!  Yes, that's hubby, busy taking his own photos of the little guy!  I would love to take it with me this weekend, up to the horse ranch, but hubby always says I get too much dust on my camera up there, especially when the horses are running around the round pen or arena...any suggestions?

2 comments:

Barb said...

Congratulations!! You deserve it and your little Nikon will be thanking you for the breather as I'm sure there aren't too many cameras around who take as many pics as yours do!

I agree about dust being the enemy of cameras but perhaps you can take it to the ranch on damp days or use it for scenic shots up and down Highway 74 every day, but saving the Nikon for the dusty jobs.

By the way, I love your little lizard shots.

aurora said...

Two new camera's, fun-fun! I love my 7D, altho I must admit I too need to learn to use the settings better. It was the camera our local store recommended for using in an outdoor setting with horse's, for it's durabilty.