Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

ELK~That's My World for 081909















You know how you see those signs that say "Elk next 9 miles" or whatever, but you never see any? Well, yesterday outside of Lone Pine, near Mt. Whitney, I spotted a huge herd of elk at noon, on our way through. YES! High noon! A farmer was watering his alfalfa field and there were several smaller herds and one very large one in the fields. The bull elk in one herd next to the road was HUGE! Of course, some young whippersnapper was testing him, so he was very busy keeping all his females in one spot! But, compared to the challenger, he was massive! Several other cars had pulled over and we all climbed through the weeds to the fence to take photos. That's My World for Tuesday, August 18, 2009.

3 comments:

Louise said...

That's a LOT of elk.

Either I missed it, or you forgot to link this post to the My World blog. (Sorry if I missed it.)

Thanks for sharing your elk!

Cheryl Ann said...

Louise, it is there....#69. Thanks! We saw 5 deer this morning!

~JarieLyn~ said...

My husband would love these photos. Spotting elk and deer are his favorite past times when traveling. Great photos.