Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Cali and the salt lick~Camera Critters for 080809






















Okay, so I gave in and bought the "herd" some Himalayan salt licks. I bought the "baby" ones that come with a rope. I figured if they didn't lick them, maybe they would play with them, especially Quad, who seems fond of investigating things in his corral. Nope. The only one who has even touched theirs is Scout and I found hers flung out in the middle of her corral. She tried to eat the rope on hers, so we took the rope off. Does anybody use these things? Do your horses like them? Anyway, here's Cali investigating hers.

12 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh, it's beautiful. My father in law had horses...I had ONE. You can't beat their loyalty!!!

My 1st time ever, to participate in Camera Critters. Come see my fur baby at Christmas. Happy Weekend.

Dina said...

What gorgeous horses you have!

Just a thought, but I imagine a salt lick not well-grounded might get away from the one licking and be frustrating. Good toy, though. :)

Misty DawnS said...

What gorgeous horses you have! We get big salt blocks for our cattle, but that's different, I realize.

Oskar said...

Nice horsie!

Pam said...

MY inlaws raise horses and have salt licks like this also. Lovely shots.

Snap said...

Gorgeous photos of Cali

i beati said...

ah the beauties I love this site

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos of your horses.

mimi said...

what a beautiful horse.

Tulip said...

what a stunning horse. love the color.

Patricia Reszetylo said...

Tie the salt licks up snug. They'll use 'em.

Larry D said...

great horses, wonderful photos!