Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Other critters at the ranch

Besides the horses, there ARE other animals who live in & around the ranch where I board the herd.  First, there is a family of ravens who have lived in one of the oak trees for generations.  Their nest is a complete MESS, but every Spring, the young ones are out with the parents having flying lessons.  It's fun to watch them.  And, the ranch owner throws out dead mice for them every morning.  She captures them in one of her aviaries and the ravens are eagerly awaiting their breakfast each morning!

I've also seen two snake skins and 2 LIVE gopher snakes.  I screamed at the first one and her husband came running and beheaded it, so when the second one came out of the same faucet, I put my hand over my mouth and put on my BIG GIRL PANTS and didn't scream and it got away.  Phew!

Unfortunately, one time the owner DID see the markings of a sidewinder, but never saw the snake.  We certainly don't wish to welcome THEM onto the property.

I also found the skeleton of a snake once.  I should start collecting these things!

There is an owl who lives in the pine tree next to the front gate and one time I accidentally flushed it out.  Then, there is a hawk who lives nearby and who preys upon the baby quail.  Gosh darn!  Out of 24 babies one year, only 6 survived...

Many cottontails live in and around the ranch and Gigondas has a bunny friend to keep her company.
Other than that, there are a couple of loud dogs next door.  There used to be a German Shepherd up at the ranch right above theirs, but I haven't seen or heard it in years.

A family down the street has a cow, which I hear every once in a while, and there are chickens on ranches all around.

I really DO enjoy my visits to the horses.  I'll be going up there this weekend because NO RAIN is in the forecast!  (thank goodness!)


1 comment:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Have fun. I was hoping to get out today, but we're still having icy winds that drive me indoors.