Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Had a good visit with the herd today! :-)

I SHOULD have driven up to the herd Saturday morning, but em...uh...I had TOO MUCH sparkling wine Friday night and I couldn't stand up straight Saturday.  Lesson learned.

By Sunday morning, however, I had enough energy to drive up the mountain road.  And, sad to say, this road claimed another life of a motorcyclist this week...sigh...

Anyway, it was a crisp and cool autumn morning.  I'd stopped at our local Whole Foods in Palm Desert (YES!  we have one now!!!) and I bought some foaming hand soap (fig) for the ranch owner and I also bought them some nice, sweet-tasting hamburger buns, 2 boxes of garlic primavera Risotto, a box of Whole Foods 365 crackers, and a loaf of cranberry/orange pound cake!  YUM, YUM!  Cathy was so excited to get her goodies!

And, THEY bought a new car!  It's a 2015 Subaru Outback and she is GORGEOUS!  I had to see it and inhale the "new car smell"!  Very pretty car...an olive green.  It's also 4 wheel drive!  I'm envious!

Scout, of course, was the first horse out.  I took her for a nice long walk, hoping that she would trust me as leader and she did.  It was a bit breezy and she spooked a couple of times, but she stayed with me.  It was in the arena that she was NAUGHTY!  Instead of walking, like I asked, she cantered around and tried to drag me.  HA!  I dug in my heels and reeled her back.  LESSON LEARNED:  NEVER, NEVER wear Reeboks instead of your horse shoes!  I had NO traction!  After her so-called lunging, I let her go to roll, run, kick and buck, and off she went!

I took Lucille up to the round pen, since she never uses the whole arena (unlike Scout).  She led nicely and eagerly went through the gate and rolled.  I left her out the entire time I was up there, much to the annoyance of her neighbor, who let me know loud & clear that she wanted Lucille back.

I took Scout back to her corral and took Sunni next.  He's always been a good walker.  He lunged nicely and didn't try to asset his feelings as to WHO is boss (unlike Scout!).  He rolled, ran, farted, and kicked and played tag with the dog next door!  He had a good time.

Quad was next.  While he was out, I emptied out his water trough (ugh!) and refilled it.  I rearranged his rubber mats.  I found some at COSTCO for $19.99 each and I'm wondering if I should buy those from now on.  They aren't as thick and as heavy as the pure rubber ones, but at least they would keep the horses from eating of the DAMN SAND, right?  Does anybody use the COSTCO rubber mats?  I could buy 2 of them for $40.00 for Lucille.  She needs some...just wondering if they are useable.

By then, I was running out of steam and my stomach was rumbling its displeasure over not having lunch.  I gave them all some chia seeds mixed with water.  I'm hoping the chia seeds do a better job than the psyllium and will remove sand from their stomachs better.  Any thoughts/ideas on this?

Here are a few pics from today.  I'll be posting more during the week.
Take care!
Cheryl Ann
 Miss Know-It-All (Scout)
Sunni should be on "Dancing with the Stars"!

No comments: