Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

The dog days of August...

Well, for me, summer is coming to an end.  I have about a week more at home, a short trip to Arizona, and then it's back to school.  Ugh.  I'm really NOT looking forward to school this year.  I had bronchitis ALL year last year and I could barely function.  I finally got over it in May.  Yes, I had it from Labor Day in September all the way through May.  And, I was very fatigued.  I'd come home from school, sleep from 4:30 until 6:30, eat dinner, and stumble off to bed.  That was NO LIFE, believe me!  So, 3 weeks ago, I started to drink a green smoothie a day and replace one meal a day (usually lunch or dinner).  My energy level is MUCH higher (I make my own smoothies) and IF I take a nap, it's usually only for 15-30 minutes!  That's great news!  :-)

So, what do I put in my smoothies?  Well, I cheat.  I don't have a juicer or a VITAMIX.  I have an old (VERY OLD) Cuisinart food processor.  So, I dump in a 1/2 bottle of either Bolthouse Green Goddess drink or their greens drink, some coconut water, some molasses (for iron), a protein powder, some organic cocoa, and usually a tsp. of powdered wheatgrass.  Today, however, I threw in a handful of organic kale and the blender actually did a pretty good job of chewing and juicing the kale!  :-)  I WAS driving to my local health food store to buy their "market price" greens smoothie, but at $5.00 or $6.00 a serving, that was getting mighty expensive!  I'm going to save up and buy a VITAMIX once this blender gives out, but for now, at least, I'm happy with my smoothies.  And, did you know that a WHOLE FOODS (we call it "whole paycheck") is coming to Palm Desert?  Yes, it's being built and they are remodeling the old Best Buy, which is within walking distance...see, I can go shopping and walk home!  What a deal!  :-)

Photo is Quad from July, 2012.  I caught him with 3 feet off the ground!   :-)

No comments: